So I have been busy,busy,busy.
To begin, I have planted a garden in my host family´s yard with the help of all the little boys around the area. Basically they took charge and repeatedly told me "see how creative Nicaraguans are". It was awesome. Today I looked and we already have some plants showing. However, not without a struggle. I have been chasing pigs, hens, chickens, dogs, etc. out of that garden. The fence which is made out of plastic bags has been of little help! But I have my fingers crossed.
I have created a boys youth group, the same group that has helped with the garden. They are amazing and have been loving every minute of it. We did a wall-sit competition the other day and they were screaming and yelling in pain but they would NOT give up! It was great. We all made Christmas cards. I showed them my purse made out of bag wrappers and for the next two days all I hard was "CHRISTEEEEN! Tenemos mas bolsas!!! Mire!" They were so excited to find bags in the street so we could get started. The next day we washed them and hung them out to dry. We made bracelets on Monday and we will soon be making belts! I love the enthusiasm!
We had Purisima on Monday. It is a holiday where they walk around to different personally decorated altars and sing hymns at each one to celebrate the Mother Mary. Then the owners of the altars give little gifts: jewelery, housewares, or gofio (a cookie like thing made from pinolo) I loved it! I got a ton of the food!
That's all for now...Heading to another baile tonight for a promocion!
Saturday, December 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

haha keep chasing those animals away Tina :)
ReplyDelete~A
Nice work, Christine, but I'm curious: why are only the little boys working with you? Where are the girls?
ReplyDeleteAunt Rosie
it is mainly little boys because they were the ones always around my house playing in the streets and such. And so my host mom asked them to come. The little girls have come on and off but they usually have more responsiblities in the house such as cooking and cleaning and so they can´t leave as often. However I am hoping to get some more to come.
ReplyDeleteHi Christine,
ReplyDeleteCan you post some pictures of your garden, the animals, and the bags, fence and belts etc. that you are making out of the bags? We think it is cool that you can make such interesting things out of bags!! Great work!
Sra. Brown and 6th grade Spanish
(Ryann Tuffield's class)
I had beers with the Granduke of Narwal! He and the Duchess said "Heeey." Guess who?
ReplyDelete